This page contains articles I have written on immigration-related themes and other articles of interest
 Home > Information Bank > Articles


by Andy J. Semotiuk
U.S. and Canadian Immigration Lawyer
What do I need to file to bring my spouse to the United States?
If you are applying to bring your spouse to the U.S. to live, you will need to file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service:

Petition for Alien Relative, with all required documentation

Forms detailing exactly where you have lived and worked for the last ten years and the names and dates of birth and death of your parents -one for you and one for your spouse.

A copy of your birth certificate showing your name, or your U.S. passport

If you are a citizen and were not born in the United States, a copy of either your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or your U.S. passport

A copy of your civil marriage certificate

A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that would show that any previous marriage entered into by you or your spouse was ended legally

A color photo of you and one of your spouse - passport type on light background with your right ear showing.

Usually, if a spouse is petitioning for you and you are currently in the United States through a lawful admission or parole, you may file an Application to Adjust Status, at the same time your spouse files the petition on your behalf. If the immigrant is abroad the application is commenced in the US with a petition by the sponsoring spouse but is then processed abroad through the US Consulate in the country where the immigrant lives.

Contact me if you would like assistance with your case. You can reach me at or you can call me at my law firm details of which are on this web site.
Explore All Articles
Arrange a consultation