This page contains articles I have written on immigration-related themes and other articles of interest
 Home > Information Bank > Articles


by Andy J. Semotiuk
U.S. and Canadian Immigration Lawyer
What professions are recognized under NAFTA?
Unless noted otherwise, the following Professionals qualify for Professional status if they have a baccalaureate degree or a licenciatura degree in their professions:

  • Accountant (baccalaureate, CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA)
  • Actuary (subcategory of Mathematician, below; must be in a U.S., Canadian or Mexican Professional actuarial association or society)
  • Agriculturist/Agronomist (baccalaureate)
  • Animal breeder (baccalaureate)
  • Animal Scientist (baccalaureate)
  • Apiculturist (baccalaureate)
  • Architect (baccalaureate or state/provincial license; also see Landscape Architect, below)
  • Astronomer (baccalaureate)
  • Biochemist (baccalaureate)
  • Biologist (includes Plant Pathologist, see below)
  • Chemist (baccalaureate)
  • Computer systems analyst (baccalaureate or post secondary diploma, plus three years of experience)
  • Dairy Scientist (baccalaureate)
  • Dentist (DDS, DMD, or state/provincial license)
  • Dietician (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
  • Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster (baccalaureate or three years of experience in claims adjustment and training in insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims)
  • Economist (baccalaureate)
  • Engineer (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
  • Entomologist (baccalaureate)
  • Epidemiologist (baccalaureate)
  • Forester (baccalaureate or state/provincial license; also see Sylviculturist, below)
  • Geneticist (baccalaureate)
  • Geochemist (baccalaureate)
  • Geographer (baccalaureate)
  • Geologist (baccalaureate)
  • Geophysicist (baccalaureate)
  • Graphic Designer (baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years of experience)
  • Horticulturist (baccalaureate)
  • Hotel Manager (baccalaureate in hotel/restaurant management or post secondary diploma and three years of experience)
  • Industrial Designer (baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years of experience)
  • Interior Designer (baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years of experience)
  • Land Surveyor (baccalaureate or state/provincial/federal license)
  • Landscaping Architect (baccalaureate)
  • Lawyer (member of state/provincial bar, or LLB, JD, LLL, or BCL)
  • Librarian (MLS, or BLS. BLS must be one for which another baccalaureate degree was a pre-requisite)
  • Management Consultant (baccalaureate or five years of experience in consulting or related field)
  • Mathematician (includes Actuary, above)
  • Medical Technologist/Medical Lab Technologist (baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years of experience)
  • Meteorologist (baccalaureate)
  • Nurse, Registered (must have state/provincial license)
  • Nutritionist (baccalaureate)
  • Occupational Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
  • Oceanographer (baccalaureate)
  • Pharmacist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
  • Pharmacologist
  • Physician (teaching and/or research only, MD or state/provincial license)
  • Physicist (baccalaureate)
  • Physio/Physical Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
  • Plant Breeder (baccalaureate)
  • Plant Pathologist (subcategory of Biologist, above)
  • Poultry Scientist (baccalaureate)
  • Psychologist (must have state/provincial license, cannot qualify with only baccalaureate degree)
  • Range Manager/Range Conservationist (baccalaureate)
  • Recreational Therapist (baccalaureate)
  • Research Assistant (baccalaureate and job in a post-secondary educational institute)
  • Social Worker (baccalaureate)
  • Soil Scientist (baccalaureate)
  • Statistician (baccalaureate)
  • Sylviculturist/Forestry Specialist (also see Forester, above)
  • Teacher (baccalaureate degree; must be coming to work for a college, seminary or university only, no secondary or elementary school teaching)
  • Technician or Technologist, Scientific (must work in direct support of professions in one of these disciplines: biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, physics, and possess theoretical knowledge of discipline, and solve practical problems in discipline)
  • Urban Planner (baccalaureate)
  • Veterinarian (DVM, DMV, or state/provincial license)
  • Vocational Counselor (baccalaureate)
  • Writer, Technical Publications (baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years of experience)
  • Zoologist (baccalaureate)
If you require the assistance with an immigration matter please feel free to contact Andy Semotiuk at or by contacting him at the address found on this web site.
Explore All Articles
Arrange a consultation